W12: “Dear Malaysians…”


Dear Malaysians, 

    Hi, everyone. I am a third-generation Malaysian of Chinese Heritage, born and raised in the warm grounds that made it into the city known as Kuala Lumpur. My ancestors migrated from China, at a time when things weren’t the best for them, and had left in search of a better life. Ingrained in my blood, I am one of the many pieces that made Malaysia into what it is. 


    Our country is unique and beautiful, a lustrous gem in the middle of the southeast ocean. There are no words to describe it as it is: Malaysia is Malaysia. We are formed and molded by a rich diversity of races, cultures, and religions that became what we are today. We are diverse, and what defines us was not the color of our skin, but what we stand for as one. 


    Yet, as many countries do, we are also haunted by, I could say so, the numerous skeletons in the closet. One of our not-so-hidden secrets is that Malaysia's government is regarded as incompetent, and corrupted even, proven by many political scandals that we’ve experienced in the past few years. We don’t need to name names; we are too aware of the reality that we are in. 


    Our country is facing a crisis. It’s just that instead of outer threats, what we stand against are ourselves.


    We’ve grown together as one, but have slowly grown apart. Divided by our ideals, and policies that we have put together as a whole. We pit ourselves against each other, only to come out more tired than before. And sometimes I couldn’t help but wonder: was it worth it in the end?


    I do not know the answer. 


    Conclusions made in haste will not be, never be satisfied. We all have too many sides to please, care and not omit. We will never be satisfied, humans, more than often never have been. There's always the bigger apple to pick, the bigger fish to claim as our own. We’ve trapped ourselves in a strange predicament.


    But we must remain hopeful. 


    We have years of experience to learn and grow from, and years more to live on. Malaysians are united not by some politics or rules on a wall, but by who we are and what we stand for. 


    I’m Malaysian because I am. I’m shaped by those around me, not by my ethnicity or my ancestors. No amount of persuading can do that. 


    There may never be a true satisfactory conclusion because this is just the beginning. 


    As Malaysians, we cannot deny that Malaysia is a wonderful place with cultural charm. I have always been proud to be a Malaysian and I believe that one day Malaysia will be bright so let's not give it up! Let's do our best and wait together!  Before finishing, check out our beautiful Malaysia through this video!


SKYRUN MALAYSIA. (2020, Jan 19). VISIT MALAYSIA 2020 - THIS IS MALAYSIA, A TRULY ASIA!. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6UguPyZalgI&lc=UgxmNybEo81Uhsw-cnV4AaABAg

Sincerely,
Celine Chi Zhao Xuan

Comments